Love your body
How it worksScar Revision
Talk to our expertsHave a consultation with one of our surgeons to discuss whether Scar Revision is appropriate for you.
Get your desired treatmentHave your Scar Revision carried out by consultant plastic surgeon, Mr. Ahmad.
We will support youFeel confident that we will support you every step of the way.
If the scar has specific elements that are, for example, uneven, puckered, ridged, or with unsightly ‘cross-hatching’ left by the original sutures, then again with excision of the scar and meticulous technique, the scar should be able to be re-repaired and the appearance improved.
Sometimes scars are stretched or thick. Obviously, a stretched scar might be able to be made finer, a thick scar usually is thick for a reason. The reason might be that there was infection after surgery, it was slow to heal or it could be due to the way your body heals; very thick scars are known as keloid scars. Keloid scars can also be improved but not in every case.
If you have worries about scar, come and have a chat and Mr Ahmad will be happy to give you an honest assessment of what could be achieved to address your concerns and to make the scar look better.Book Consultation
At a glance
- Used to improve appearance of scars
- Time in theatre 30-90 mins
- Anaesthesia Local or general Anaesthetic
- Hospital stay no
- Recovery up to 7 days
- Costs from £850
- Follow up up to 5 included
- Does it last yes
Over 500+operations performed
Mr Ahmad has performed hundreds of operations for patients and is adept at combining this experience and skill with an artistic eye, achieving a very beautiful and natural-looking result for his patients.
Based on 106 reviews
You can feel confident that he will understand your issues and be reassured that he has the experience to address your concerns. Have a look at our verified testimonials.
Mr Ahmad will never push you to any procedure or treatment and our philosophy is to look after you before, during and after your treatment. Mr Ahmad will listen and give you the knowledge to make an informed decision, in your own time.
Click here to learn about Scar Revision Aftercare
Moisturising and Massage:
- The scar should be moisturised with a bland moisturiser such as E45, Vitamin E cream, Aloe Vera gel or Nivea cream.
- It is recommended that the scar is moisturised and massaged twice daily.
- The scar should be massaged gently at first, this can then be built up to a firm massage.
- Scars can become red when exposed to the sun even in this country.
- It is recommended that total sunblock be used over the scar for at least the first year after surgery/injury.
- Alternatively, keep the scar out of the sun with clothing.
Silicone Gel Sheets and Gel (Mepiform, Cica-care, DermatixTM , KelocoteTM)
- Flatten, soften and fade red and raised scars.
- Work by moisturising and covering the scar.
- Can be used preventatively, i.e. before the scar becomes red, raised or itchy.
- Silicone gel sheet or gel treatment should be commenced once the suture line is closed and free from scabs.
- Treatment should continue for at least two months.
- Should be worn for a minimum of 12 hours daily, but preferably 24 hours a day.
- Mepiform should be removed at least once a day, the scar and surrounding area should be washed, dried and massaged with a moisturising cream.
- Allow the massage cream/oil to absorb into the skin before reapplying the Mepiform.
- The same piece of Mepiform can be reapplied.
- Discard the Mepiform once it has lost its adherent properties and apply a new piece.
DermatixTM or KelocoteTM:
- Is a topical silicone gel and should be used twice a day.
- Gently clean the area to be treated with mild soap and water, pat dry.
- Massage the scar as outlined above and allow cream/oil to soak in and dry.
- Gently spread a very thin coating of DermatixTM/KelocoteTM over the scar.
- Allow to dry for 4 to 5 minutes before covering with clothing or make-up. If DematixTM/KelocoteTM has not dried within 4 to 5 minutes you have used too much: remove excess and allow the drying process to continue
- The recommended minimum duration of treatment is two months.
Mepiform, DermatixTM and Kelocote TM can be purchased from any pharmacy, however they may need to order in the product.