Scar Care Advice
If the scar has specific elements that are, for example, uneven, puckered, ridged, or with unsightly ‘cross-hatching’ left by the original sutures, then with scar care and meticulous technique, the scar should be able to be re-repaired and the appearance improved.
General Scar Care
Moisturising and Massage
- The scar should be moisturised with a bland moisturiser such as E45, Vitamin E cream, Aloe Vera gel or Nivea cream.
- It is recommended that the scar is moisturised and massaged twice daily.
- The scar should be massaged gently at first, this can then be built up to a firm massage.
- Scars can become red when exposed to the sun even in this country.
- It is recommended that total sunblock be used over the scar for at least the first year after surgery/injury.
- Alternatively, keep the scar out of the sun with clothing.
Silicone Gel Sheets and Gel (Mepiform, Cica-care, DermatixTM , KelocoteTM)
- Flatten, soften and fade red and raised scars.
- Work by moisturising and covering the scar.
- Can be used preventatively, i.e. before the scar becomes red, raised or itchy.
- Silicone gel sheet or gel treatment should be commenced once the suture line is closed and free from scabs.
- Treatment should continue for at least two months.
Mepiform, DermatixTM and Kelocote TM can be purchased from any pharmacy, however they may need to order in the product.
- Should be worn for a minimum of 12 hours daily, but preferably 24 hours a day.
- Mepiform should be removed at least once a day, the scar and surrounding area should be washed, dried and massaged with a moisturising cream.
- Allow the massage cream/oil to absorb into the skin before reapplying the Mepiform.
- The same piece of Mepiform can be reapplied.
- Discard the Mepiform once it has lost its adherent properties and apply a new piece.
DermatixTM or KelocoteTM
- Is a topical silicone gel and should be used twice a day.
- Gently clean the area to be treated with mild soap and water, pat dry.
- Massage the scar as outlined above and allow cream/oil to soak in and dry.
- Gently spread a very thin coating of DermatixTM/KelocoteTM over the scar.
- Allow to dry for 4 to 5 minutes before covering with clothing or make-up. If DematixTM/KelocoteTM has not dried within 4 to 5 minutes you have used too much: remove excess and allow the drying process to continue.
- The recommended minimum duration of treatment is two months.